Monday, March 17, 2008

This will take only a half-hour or so

For some reason, when my husband and I start some repair job, we always underestimate the time it will take to do it. My husband had a burning desire to pull the dishwasher out and see if the electric power supply was wired directly into the electrical system or if it was a plug-in situation. When I protested on the grounds that it was a bit too late in the afternoon to start, he assured me that it was only a matter of unscrewing two small screws in the top of the unit, and would probably take at most a half-hour. Ha! and Ha! again. First, we couldn't get the screws out, since they seemed to be stripped. Then when we tried to get the dishwasher pulled out, it was cranked up too tightly and would not come out. We finally got the little bolts screwed down enough to get the thing out and found, logically enough, that it was wired directly into the house system. Good to know, I guess, but by the time we finished, picked up the tools, swept out the debris that had collected under there and turned our thoughts to dinner, it was almost six o'clock.
I do admire my husband, though, since he always finishes a job, no matter how long it takes. Since he is visually impaired, most of the time he has to rely on touch to find the screws, fittings, and so on, but he has infinite patience and somehow gets the job done. He actually installed a tongue and groove oak flooring throughout the house, and did a beautiful job.
Anyway, that is the blog of today. I do love to get comments, so let me hear from you. If I get too boring, let me know.

No comments: