Thursday, March 6, 2008

If I can't find it, it has been filed away

I have been sorting through old papers, files, useless pieces of old records, and I must say there is no limit to the amount of stuff one can accumulate over the course of fifty years or so. I have a file cabinet out in the workroom that has all of the paper ever generated by the many mortgage documents and expense accounts of the houses we have owned and I am too superstitious to throw any of it out. My theory is that as soon as you throw something away, you will very soon need that very document and of course it will no longer be available. I have another file cabinet out in the laundry room, jammed full with more documents. Filing has never been my strong point. So don't expect me to find anything that is filed out there - it won't be in place. Anyway, I kept my cool and actually got the top drawer of the china cabinet cleaned out and forced myself to throw away a few papers that I hope I will never need again.
I had a lovely day yesterday, going to Sebastopol to the clinic for a blood test to check up on my cumadin level, stopping at a little bakery for coffee and a roll, and then taking a side trip to the thrift shop where I saw a lot of things that other people have discarded. I didn't buy anything but it was fun to poke around at the odds and ends and the volunteers who work there are kindness itself.
I purposely refrained from watching TV but have finished reading a very good book titled "Water for Elephants." It is fiction but written so well that I felt I was right there throughout the whole thing. Then my Readers Digest came and I read the very good article about the race horse that broke its leg running its last race. I may break down and watch "Murder She Wrote" at eleven. It always puts me to sleep.
Goodnight All. Keep in touch.

No comments: