Friday, March 28, 2008

Eight random things about myself

Hi, grinandgrumble.So pleased that you have tagged me. I shall write eight random things about myself, some more random than others.
1. I am eighty-five and aiming for a hundred. I am in pretty good shape but do have the usual mild disabilities that go along with advanced years.
2. Five years ago I fell backward down a flight of stairs onto a hard surface and fractured my right hip. I was rushed into surgery, anaesthetized and a plate was put into my leg from my knee to my hip. I was in a coma for five days and awoke to find my granddaughter calling my name and stroking my cheek. I was in the hospital and a convalescent hospital for six months and believe me, was I glad to come home again.
3. I have seen and done many things in my long life. I grew up in Wisconsin on a farm bordered by a main road down which Charles Lindberg used to ride his motorcycle on his way to Madison to the University. He used to scare the livestock into a frenzy.
4. I remember when his little son was kidmapped and the furor that ensued when Bruno Richard Hauptmann was tried for his kidnapping and death. He was found guilty and executed. Some people believed in his innocence to the end of time.
5. I lived through the great depression and remember when Franklin Roosevelt gave his fireside talks and Eleanor went on her trips. Times really were hard. We were lucky to have a farm that provided adequate food and milk and eggs, but when I was in high school, my lunch was often stolen by other students who had no food to eat.
6. Oh, the things I have seen and experienced! I could go on and on! I was in college on December 7, l941. I was doing some watercolor washes when the news came on the radio. We almost thought it was a joke, but unfortunately it was not..
7. Because of the teacher shortage, I was drafted out of college and sent to teach in a one-room country school with thirty=five students in eight grades. I was only nineteen and found the job too challenging and so at the end of the school year I went down to Milwaukee and got a job in a war plant as an inspector of parts for superchargers for airplane engines. I strutted around with my measuring tools in my hand and if one of the machines was producing defective parts I shut it down and red tagged it. Boy, did I think I was the Queen of Sheba.
8. As soon as I was twenty-one, I enlisted in the Army and was stationed at a top secret base at Arlington Hall in Washington D.C. We were sworn to secrecy for life, on pain of death, but in the l990's the freedom of information act was passed and now a comprehensive description of Arlington Hall can be found on Google.
How is that for starters? And I have only reached as far as my twenty-first birthday!

2 comments:

Sean said...

Thank you for offering some great stories. Keep it up and please pass on the meme.

Sean

Rebecca said...

What wonderful stories! I'll be an avid reader from now on. :)