Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Secret

I mentioned my service in the Signal Corps during World War II in my last blog. The story of Arlington Hall is printed in quite a bit of detail on Google, under the title of Arlington Hall. I have written a bit of a story detailing my training and my work at the secret base, along with pictures of me in my uniform and some details of what it was like to be stationed there. Out of all of the trainees in my squadron at basic training at Fort Oglethorpe, only four of us were singled out to go on to Washington, D.C. We didn't know where we were going or what we were going to do until we got there. Then we were sworn to secrecy under pain of death if we revealed where we were or what we were doing. Even my mother never knew what I did, and because she viewed all women in uniform with suspicion, and I never told her my secret, she felt a touch of shame at the disgrace she felt I had visited upon the family. Wherever you are, Mother, in the far reaches of heavenly space, rest assured that I served honorably and engaged in no hankypanky whatsoever. I wish now that I had told her when she was here on earth, I think it would have comforted her. But she died before the secret could be revealed. Now it is on Google for all to see and I am happy that I was able to participate in this wartime service.
On a more mundane note, St. Anthony helped us find my husbands magnifying glass, but extracted a price, or so I thought. When I unloaded the dishwasher this morning, the dishes were if anything more dirty than they were when I loaded them last night. i ran them through again. No water ran into the tub. Aha! I thought. St. Anthony wants his payment. However, when my husband dismantled the thing, we realized that the filters were entirely encrusted with years of calcium deposit, as I had not been using the rinse agent that goes in with the soap. After cleaning the filters, and putting them back in, all is well again. Thank you, St. Anthony. Sorry I blamed you for the dishwasher, and thanks for all of your help all of the time.
I had no winning numbers on the lottery last night. Good-night and keep in touch.

No comments: