Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chores of long ago

Hi. I am back again, blogging a little early tonight. I usually wait until around nine o'clock or so, but we ate early and I am now settled in to do some writing. I have been reminiscing about all of the chores we used to do that are now done by our modern appliances, such as washing clothes or dishes or hauling in water and wood. Even getting food involved activities we wouldn't dream of doing today. To cook a chicken involved killing the creature, pulling off its feathers, cleaning it out and washing it thoroughly. Only then could it enter the cooking process. If one wanted venison, the animal had to be shot, dragged home. hung up and disemboweled. Skinning the thing was a major job. It was then hung up in the wood shed, allowed to freeze, and then chunks would be sawed or chopped off, and subsequently cooked. What a job it was just to put a meal on the table. We used no canned goods except the ones our mother canned herself, so everything was cooked from scratch. To feed eight people three times a day was a daunting task.
But cooking and eating, and cleaning up afterwards was only part of the deal. On Mondays, the clothes were washed, over a washboard and round tub, rinsed and hung out on a clothesline. On Tuesday, they were ironed. Wednesday was for baking. There was no down time for the housewife or her daughters. Fathers and sons had their own routine of jobs. My brothers had chores from the age of six and worked hard at them. How we did it I don't know. Glad it was then and not now. Now we feel deprived if the electric power goes out for a day or two.
Remembering back to those long ago days, it seems that we have all come a long way. I wonder what new gadgets will come along next? It will be interesting to see.

2 comments:

Tamca said...

You and dad have rich histories and are very blessed. I like both of you talking about your lives. Having lived on grandma and grandpas farm for a bit I do like hearing about it because I can picture how it was. I have been so fortunate to know a lot of your relatives. On dad's side I met his brother but can only just remember meeting his mom in New York, and she was sick already. You both have done so very much in your life times.

Anonymous said...

What an energy efficient, non-polluting, natural way you got to live. I remember grandpa's tractor and pulling off the rear wheel to use the hub to drive the pump to irrigate the fields. I remember the milk cooling room and the hay lofts in the barn. Remember Grandma's frozen strawberries?