Friday, March 7, 2008

Obsessive- Compulsive Disorder

I never know what I am going to write until I am actually sitting down in front of the keyboard, and then I simply let the ideas pop out. Tonight I think I'll write about obsessive-compulsive disorder, which I have. Actually, I am a compulsive checker, which means that I have a routine I follow to check conditions in the house, particularly if I am going out or retiring for the night. It used to be very troubling but I have it under control pretty much, thanks to having studied it with my granddaughter when she studied for her MFT license. I started controlling it by calling the various things I was checking by horrible names, for instance I would stand in front of the stove and say, out loud, "You @#!!@, you are out." The kitchen faucet would get the same treatment, and the refrigerator. Thus I could walk off and leave the room, rather than being rooted to the spot, compelled to check over and over again. I have it so well in hand now that I can walk through the room and simply say to myself, "The stove is off, the faucet is shut off and the refrigerator door is closed." It makes it a lot easier for my husband, since being married to an obsessive-compulsive person is no picnic. I do tend to follow around after him picking things up and tidying up, but he has accustomed himself to it and actually it is to his advantage to have me do it. Since he never puts anything away, it is up to me to do it anyway.
I do see the disadvantage of being married to a neat freak, and I appreciate my husband's understanding. I was born this way and have been so since I was four years old. Most obsessive-compulsive people try to keep it hidden and many go for their entire lives never revealing the problem. But to get it under control, it must be acknowledged and if possible, discussed with an understanding therapist. Though I will never be free of the need to check, I can honestly say that it is no problem to me now. I still have to swiffer the oak floors every day and vacuum at least every other day but I feel no need whatever to clean the bathroom, which my husband compulsively cleans for me! So we live in harmony.
I hope this is helpful for others who may have the same problem. Some people wash their hands over and over again. I knew someone once who couldn't bear to touch doorknobs, telephones, faucet handles and wiped everything off with a damp tissue before she touched it. There are many manifestations of this disorder, but I really don't think that drugs are the answer, because it is easy to get addicted to them. Behaviour modification might work better, anyway.
But I must say here, that I sympathise with husbands of obsessive-compulsive wives and thank them for their understanding.

No comments: