Sunday, March 9, 2008

Shall we keep this or throw it away?

I have been going through old files in my filing cabinet and in the various drawers of my china cabinet and my writing desk. What great piles of documents I have pulled out and burned. Sixty years of bank statements, income tax forms, mortgages and purchases and deeds of trust, all filed away all of these years. When I first started pawing through all of these papers, I felt apprehensive about disposing of them. What if I needed one of them again? Would we be able to remember without the paperwork? Then I steeled myself to the task and actually began to enjoy myself. What a neat and orderly file system I have now, I can honestly say. The last file folder I cleared out was for the Eastman-Kodak stocks I used to own. I really felt quite nostalgic as I gazed through the papers it contained. However, the stock was bought back from me long ago, and there could be no reasonable reason for keeping them. Out they went. The only files I am holding onto are the income tax forms I have saved. They go back to 1946 and I keep them just for sentimental reasons. If we ever move or if someone else has to deal with them, they can all be thrown out.
Why did I start all of this? It seemed like a good idea. No one can predict what the future holds and I want to be prepared. Not that I am anticipating any drastic action in the near future. But one can never tell.
Today was a quiet day otherwise, except for my spilling my lentil soup onto the table, my lap, the chair and the carpet. We made a mad scramble for paper towels, I flung my clothes into the washing machine, and the carpet cleaned up nicely with the carpet cleaner Oust, and all was well again. I must say my husband was very helpful and stayed calm and collected. When it was all over we had a good laugh. Otherwise it was a quiet and pleasant day. Goodnight, all.

No comments: