Sunday, March 16, 2008

A failed water inlet valve

The following episode actually happened in my house, and I present it here for my readers to enjoy.
Scene 1: husband and wife are draped over the counter listening to the dishwasher, which has been acting up. The dishes haven't been coming out clean and it doesn't sound right.
Husband: Can you hear anything?
Wife: No. Not even a clicking or swishing.
Husband: Can you see any water being pumped out?
Wife: No. Nothing.
Husband: Open the door fast and peek in.
Wife obeys, seeing absolutely nothing. Dishwasher goes into wash mode but there is no water in tub. Husband gets pot and dumps a gallon of water into dishwasher. Wife watches horrified. Husband is calm. Dishwasher makes loud swishing sound, wash arms begin rotating, and cycle is completed. Rinse cycle receives another pot of water dumped in by husband. It becomes clear that no water is coming in from the water pipe and further action will have to be taken. Husband does what all husbands do when frustrated by household crises. He goes out to his work shed and works on a table he is finishing. Wife does what wives do when frustrated - she goes to the sofa and has a lie-down.
Lest my readers fear that the dishwasher has defeated us, I hasten to say that I went onto the internet and asked the Dishwasher Guru what was wrong. He knew of course, and E-mailed me that the water inlet valve had failed, and that I should order another one. This I did. In the meantime, we will once again become acquainted with washing dishes by hand, which after all, ain't that bad. Especially when my husband does them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since the water apparently still works in the sink, it does indeed sound like an inlet valve. Can you gain access to the inlet valve from the front? Have fun. Sounds like you both did a great job of dealing with the problem.