Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thank you, Saint Anthony

Had a small crises in the neighborhood yesterday, which ended happily I am pleased to say. What happened was that my friend and neighbor lost her wallet, containing her money, credit cards and driving license. She was worried about it, naturally, and came to borrow an extension cord to use to hold a light bulb to illumate the dark corners of her car. Partly in earnest and partly in jest, I suggested that we appeal to St. Anthony, and we said the St. Anthony prayer together. Believe it or not, she found it immediately. She came back all smiles, wallet in hand. I have always thought that the St. Anthony prayer was superstition, but time and time again it works. Being a recovering Catholic, I espouse all belief in Saints and angels, but sometimes even I have my moments of revelation.
We went down to my daughter's house for lunch, and had a delicious meal of roast pork, rice and green beans almondine.
There were scores of birds in the backyard and flowers coming into bloom everywhere. Tomorrow we go into Sebastopol where I will have a blood test taken to check on my coumadin level. We get out for short trips quite often, and each little excursion is a pleasure.
I used to say that I wanted to be laid out with a paint brush in one hand and a square of sandpaper in the other so I would feel at home in the afterworld. I have reflected and now want to have a piece of See's chocolate candy in one hand and a kleenex in the other. Or make it a box of See's candy and a box of kleenex. The way my allergies are going one kleenex won't be enough! I am now known as the old lady with the runny nose.
I am skipping any comment on the Tuesday primaries. I am busy with a good book, "Water for Elephants" and can hardly put it down. I highly recommend it for casual reading. Will write again tomorrow.

No comments: