Friday, March 14, 2008

An evening chore

We have the dishwasher more or less running, but we washed the dishes by hand tonight, and it wasn't bad. As a matter of face, we somewhat enjoyed it. I washed and my husband dried, and very soon they were done and back in the cupboard. It actually took less time than rinsing them, loading them in the dishwasher and then putting them away. We've had a dishwasher for so long that I had come to believe that it was a necessity of life. Of course, when I was a youngster, washing dishes for eight people in a tin dishpan with water heated on the woodburning stove, was a considerable chore. We were never allowed to skip this particular chore, the only reprieve being ill or disabled in some way. My sister and I took turns washing and drying, although this was a little unfair, as she was two years older than I. But mother felt that we should share equally in the chores and thus I had to learn to keep up. I rather think I benefitted from this as I grew up quite independent and for the most part marched to my own drum. I have certainly led an interesting life, from my experience in Arlington Hall to my marriage to a military man and our being stationed on military bases all over the country.
That sounds a little like an obituary, doen't it, and I really should give some thought to writing mine. I have left instructions that there should be no tears over my demise, since I feel that my 85 years, or however much longer I may be around, have been full and well spent. I have gotten all I have needed from life and there will be no regrets.
I hope that all who read my little snippets of news and memories are getting as much pleasure out of reading them as I am in writing them. Blogging is addictive - if I don't put something down, I think I am missing out. Take care, and keep in touch.

No comments: