Saturday, February 16, 2008

Well, I tried

I decided to try the positive approach. After 62 years of picking up after my husband, I thought I ought to at least try to train him. Not that he is all that bad. He is just the usual normal male, who thinks it is his wife's duty to keep the house tidy, present him with tasty meals and do the dishes, laundry and shopping in a timely fashion. I waited for him to do something for which I could lavishly praise him and plant the seed of compliance in his mind.
I waited for quite a while, but finally I got my chance. He brought me a glass of wine. Just like that, out of the blue, without my asking, he appeared in front of me holding out a glass of wine.
"Thank you," I gushed "How thoughtful. How did you know I was thirsty for a glass of wine?"
"Of course I knew," he replied, "You always want a glass of wine."
I was somewhat taken aback and made the mistake of becoming defensive. "I don't ALWAYS want a glass of wine," I protested.
"Name one time when you didn't" he retorted. He had me there. I couldn't think of a single time I had refused a glass of wine.
Well, there would be other chances. When he went into the bathroom, I hoped he would put down the seat and cover. That would be a major triumph. But when he came out again and I checked, the cover was still up and the water was running in the sink. What would you have done? What I did, of course. I put down the toilet seat and turned off the water. I didn't want to nag or start an argument so I did what I always do. I kept my mouth shut.
I waited all day for a chance to praise him. He left his shoes and chair in the middle of the room. He left his milk glass and saucer on the table and fell asleep in his chair with the sliding glass door open a couple of inches and the electric heater on. I naturally picked up the dishes, put the shoes and chair away and shut the door. He didn't comment on my activity, being asleep, but when he woke up he asked where his shoes were. He grumbled that he was going to put them on again and had left them where they were as a convenience. I haven't given up exactly, but I may have a long wait. I think it is easier to train a dog. They at least listen and wag their tales. With husbands you can't even tell if they notice.

1 comment:

1sockd said...

Well, Dorothy, it sounds like after 62 years of marriage, maybe grandpa's the one who's got YOU trained to pick up after him! Ask him if he would like a glass of wine! See if he praises you! Final conclusion: Can we really train anybody???