Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ode to the Big Guy

It has been suggested that I don't properly appreciate my husband's sterling qualities. But no, that is not true. The following poem which I wrote a few years ago, still holds true, with a change or two. Read it and see what you think.
Ode to the Big Guy
Blessings on you, Macho Guy
We march together, you and I
You are husband, I am wife.
Till death do us part, we are bonded for life.
With my frizzy curls and your thinning hair
We are opposites but still a pair.
I am the eyes with which you see
You are the brain that thinks for me.
My memory is gone, you aare legally blind
But when you lead, I follow behind.
Your strong hand pulls me from ny chair
When I fall down, I'm glad you're there.
You follow me from spot to spot
"Are you too cold? Åre you too hot?
Did you take your pills? Do you want some tea?"
You anxiously hover over me.
Ying and Yang, Jeckel and Hyde
For 62 years we've been sid by side.
I need you and you need me
Neither of us is ever free.
Like two boats at anchor, riding high,
We float together, you and I.
They called you "Moose" in days gone by
A tall and strong and handsome guy.
Chased by women, it is known
And you did some chasing of your own.
You thought the game of love was fun
You were fleet of foot and you always won.
Well, you could run but you couldn't hide
And I wove my net and cast it wide
And though you struggled to be free
I pulled you in and you married me.
Sixty-two years on April 6. Seems like yesterday.

2 comments:

Tamca said...

Glad that you put up Ode to the Big Guy for all to see. Cute

1sockd said...

Hi, Dorothy, it's Kendre. Maybe it's hormones, maybe it's our lives together, but every time I read this I sob like a baby. Not only is it inconceivable that you've been married for 62 years, but how quickly the time has passed. It does seem like yesterday, for us both. April had her first vaccines today and she screamed and I cried. I never imagined that I could love this little girl so much. Now I understand why you loved me the way you did all these years.