Sunday, February 10, 2008

Silly songs

A silly song popped into my head, and it won't go away. It goes like this "What makes a lady of eighty go out on the loose, what makes a gander meander in search of a goose, it's not the season, the reason is plain as the moon, it's just Elmer's Tune." This song surfaced in the early 1940's, along with some other pretty silly songs. Does anyone else remember "Pistol Packing Mama" or Mairzie Dotes and Dozy Dotes and Little Lambsy Divy? The Andrews Sisters sang their hearts out with "The Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy from Company B". I think it was because we were in the midst of a war, and needed to be silly once in a while. The romantic songs were melodic but uncomplicated, and could be remembered after being heard a time or two. I particularly remember "Kiss me once, and kiss me twice, it's been a long, long time." We were encouraged to pine our hearts out over our beloveds who were fighting for us overseas. We sang mournfully that "they're either too young or too old," and wrote letters to whoever we could think of and cherished their answering letters back to us.
Modern day songs just don't do it for old-timers like me. Not only do I not get it, but I can't hum the melody or remember the lyrics. Is it even music? Sometimes I wonder.

No comments: