Sunday, February 3, 2008

I watched a pretty good football game tonight - the Superbowl- and was quiet entertained by the action, except for the commercials. Since the New York Giants were the underdogs, I was pleased when they won. Since the winning touchdown was made in the last minute of the game, it was quite exciting. It reminded me of the times when Joe Montana of the 49ers would pull a win out of the hat in the last moments of a game. I have never attended a game in the stadium, preferring to watch from the warmth and comfort of my living room, with snacks and liquid refreshments close at hand. I did go to a baseball game at Candlestick Park one time, and nearly froze to death. My neighbot and I covered ourselves with an old blanket and peered out of holes that we cut into it, but we shivered and suffered through the whole game. The fact that we couldn't find our car afterward didn't help either. I understand that people paid in the thousands of dollars for seats at today's game. Well, to each his own.
When I was in college in l941, back in Wisconsin, I was on the staff of the College newspaper, which was printed once a week. As part of my assignment, I wrote up the captions for the photographs of the football team. Oh, what an assignment! It meant that I got to go to every game, and got to confer with the quarterback when it came time to write the captions. Besides this pleasure, I was hired to babysit his little sister whenever the need arose. Needless to say, I developed quite a crush on the young man. It was not reciprocated, however. He had eyes only for one of the cheerleaders. It wasn't a particularly successful team, but they tried mightily.
I always regretted that I didn't get to graduate from that college. I was recruited in my last year to go out into the teaching field, due to a severe shortage of teachers. I consented to go, but found that I didn't like teaching anyway, and found myself a place in the defense industry. I went back to college later in life and graduated when I was 65.
Isn't it interesting how so many memories of times past come back so vividly? I can still see the cafeteria in the basement of that college, and remember the delicious meal the art teacher treated me to one afternoon. She took pity on me when she learned that I had no money and nothing to eat. She urged me to eat the skin of my beked potato and so I did. It was good.

No comments: