Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Waiting for the debate

This is Tuesday and we are just sitting around waiting for the Deocratic debate to start. It should be a good one this time. I hurried dinner along and we finished by five, and so the table is cleared and we are ready. I tried a new recipe for mini meatloaves and didn't like how it turned out but luckily Bill generally eats whatever I put in front of him, and he actually said he liked it. I have a bunch left over, so he probably will get to eat it again before long. I wish I liked to cook, but that is a talent I have never cultivated, and it is pretty late to start now.

When I worked in the Post Office I used to sort mail by hand for the first hour of the shift, and it could get pretty boring. One day i discovered that my co-worker in the cubicle next to me had a large repertoire of poems memorized and she would recite portions to me as she sorted. I tried to retalliate and it got quite challenging. I would memorize a part of a poem after I got home from work and would be ready the next day. I particularly like the verse following:

The splendour falls on castle walls and snowy summits old in story
The long light shakes across the lake and the wild cataract leaps in glory!
Blow, bugle, blow, set the wild echoes flying!
Answer echoes, answer, dying, dying, dying.
Oh hark, oh hear, how thin and clear
And thinner, clearer farther going
Near and far, from cliff and scar,
The horns of elfland faintly blowing.

I seem to remember that our supervisor didn't quite appreciate our recitations.

Well, the hour of six approacheth, and the debate will be on. Will let you know how I liked it.














1

1 comment:

Tamca said...

I like when you recite poetry. And that was a great way to pass time with your coworker.

The debate was. fabulous. I enjoyed it.