Tuesday, February 19, 2008

How am I doing?

Just for fun, I took an IQ test yesterday, and to my surprise I got a score of 117. Not enough for the Mensa society, which requires a score of 132, but better than I had expected. (the average score is 100.) It was an easy test, and I enjoyed taking it. As is usual in such tests, there were a couple of questions I couldn't answer, but I skipped those. They are put there purposely and sometimes people take an inordinate amount of time trying to figure them out. As an old test taker, I usually can spot them right away.
The happiest days of my life were spent studying with my granddaughter for her MFT license test, which she passed, I am proud to say. There are tricks to all tests, and the one she had to take is no exception. Many people take that test over and over again, and never pass it. So I am proud of her accomplishment.
I took the test partly to see if my mental capacity was diminished due to my age. A large percentage of elderly people develop either dementia or alzheimers, or both. My father had Alzheimers when he was my age, and the burden of caring for him fell upon my mother, and she had a hard time controlling him. Every stage of Alzheimers is difficult for the caregiver. If it happens to me, I hope my family will just put me in a safe place, and let me be. I don't want anyone to have to give up their life to keep me safe. I won't know the difference anyway. But I rather doubt that it will happen. More likely I will be prey to a heart attack, which carried off both of my parents. My father was 87, my mother 96. She was mentally sharp right up to the end.
I think blogging is addictive. I love to get comments and it is a good way to keep in touch. So please keep the comments coming!

1 comment:

Tamca said...

You are a very smart woman!