Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A social visit

Yesterday proved to be a most pleasant day, and both my husband and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. On the surface, it would seem a most dreary prospect to be visiting one's primary doctor, but in our isolated situation, any excuse to get out of the house is seized upon with enthusiasm. So when the nurse from the clinic requested that my husband come in for a visit with his doctor, we arranged for a ride with our daughter and off we went. I needed to have a blood test taken, so I went along and we were ushered into the office of our genial and handsome young doctor together (a major mistake.)
It would be helpful here to explain that my husband views all questions, regarding his health or anything else, as being of earthshaking importance. He carefully considers whether he is going to answer, and when he has decided to respond, he carefully considers what his answer will be. It takes quite a while. I, on the other hand, being of an impatient nature, answer immediately and usually answer for my husband as well. The following conversation is typical:
Doctor, "Why are you here?" shuffling through the file. "Do you have a problem?"
Husband, "No. I had a bladder infection."
Doctor, "Do you still have it? Have you any symptoms?'"
Husband, "No"
Doctor, "How did you know you had an infection?"
My husband considered that for a while,, and I could stand it no longer. "He went to his urologist and the urologist told him he had an infection. He got a prescription for it."
Doctor "Have you had a baldder infection before?"
Husband, thinking carefully "I had a yeast infection in my navel once."
This caused me to burst into a fit of laughter, which I tried to control without success. I try to keep track of my husband's numerous ailments, but had never thought to look into his navel. Actually, since we have separate bedrooms, neither of us sees much of the other anymore. And it is just as well. Neither of us is any prize. My husband used to be a hunk but time has taken its toll on both of us. Still, we do once in awhile get a glimpse of a naked body on the way from the bathroom to the bedroom, but we try not to linger for a longer look.
It was a fairly long conference, and I am happy to say that we left our doctor and his assistant laughing, and I wrote down my blog spot. I hope my doctor reads it. Doctor, I love you. You take me just as I am, and encourage me to enjoy life, and I really will try to live to be a hundred.

No comments: