Thursday, May 1, 2008

In the Footsteps of the Master

Seldom is one privileged to meet a truly great intellectual, much less study under him for twenty years. Yet this was my great good fortune and I cherish the memory.
It was 1972 and my daughter was a student at Sonoma State University, when I first sat at the feet of Swami Chinmyananda. We had heard about a new lecturer who was coming to teach the Vedanta principles and my daughter was eager to attend his first class. So off we went to the campus, not knowing exactly what to expect, but ready for anything.
It was already dark when we got there and got my daughter's old VW van parked in the parking lot. As we approached the campus greens we could see that a tent had been erected and a few people were hanging around outside. No activity seemed to be taking place inside, but we removed our shoes and silently entered, hoping not to step on anyone. We could see only dim shapes, and settled down on the grass to await unfolding events.
All was still inside the tent. The air was warm and the scent of freshly cut grass was in the air. There was also the faint aroma of incense and an occasional whiff of perfume. We could feel the cool grass under us where we sat. There was a faint but perceptible sound of rustling and soft breathing as we waited in anticipation for the arrival of the master.
I almost fell asleep. It had been a long day and I had driven forty miles to my daughter's house after work. Then I heard a sort of murmur from the circle of waiting students and I became aware of a figure seated on the dias in the front of the tent. He had come in silently and taken his place in front of us. The light was still dim enough to make it hard to see him, but I could see that he was seated in the lotus position holding a long pointer in his right foot, which was bare. He was clothed in a saffron robe and sat upright swaying slightly from side to side.
He began to chant. "Ohm Shanti! Shanti! Shanti!" He had a pleasant and melodious voice, and as he continued chanting I began to feel lethargic and sleepy. I dozed off, and awoke with a start when lights were turned on and we could see the figure before us more clearly .
(continued tomorrow)

1 comment:

Tamca said...

So nice to be remembering Swami Chinmayananda. Thank you. I look forward to what you may have to say tomorrow.