Saturday, May 3, 2008

Doom and Gloom

For some reason, even though I watched the Kentucky Derby and enjoyed it, I have been plunged into gloom. I have separation anxiety when I have no reason for it. I feel as though some momentous event looms over me and it will be a disaster. I think it came about because one of those mortgage salesmen called me this morning and wanted me to refinance with his company, whichever one it was. Things are coming to a pretty pass when one receives these calls on a daily basis, indicating that the mortgage companies are in a precarious position, boding ill for the economy and all homeowners who are having trouble meeting their mortgage payments. Luckily my husband and I are in a secure position, with only a small mortgage on one house, and no debts other than that at all. Our income, though moderate, is secure. We can meet the mortgage payment, which is small, with no problem. Why then, am I in such a state? My husband thoughtfully brought me a small dish of chocolate chips, thinking I might be having a chocolate craving, and I hope that helps. Having lived through the depression of the thirties, I can well remember the desperate plight of many of our neighbors and friends. Maybe the sight of President Bush on television set me off. Anyway, there is nothing I can do except say to myself, "Snap out of it!"
I will try to think of something pleasant. The Kentucky Derby was fun to watch, although the little filly broke both front legs and had to be put down. On principle, I object to horse races, since so many horses get injured and it seems cruel to make them run their hearts out for the pleasure of gamblers and watchers like myself. Big Brown came through, and he is a magnificent animal.
Well, that made me feel a little better. That and the fact that my husband is making dinner for us and I will soon be sitting down to a nice hot meal. Forgive me, everyone. I will try to be a little more upbeat in future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Grandma Dottie,

Please don't feel bad for feeling bad - those moments happen to all of us! The beauty of life is that it touches us in all colors, some bright and some dismal. You are one of the bright ones, happy or feeling blue.

Big hug to you, Grandma -
Lisa

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment. I do feel much better now.

Anonymous said...

Grandma Dottie......I hope some sun, birds singing and flowers growing will bring you a smile and a lift.

From my heart to yours, Harriet

Tamca said...

Hi Dottie,

I feel exactly the way that you do in regard to the horse races. Horses are such wonderful animals and it is exciting to watch them race but it seems abusive to use them so hard and for gambling. They do get hurt often and have to be put down.
I like the relationships that individuals have with their horses on ranches and farms.

Dieverdog said...

if it weren't for the rain there'd be no rainbows... I forget where I've heard that, but it's so true... we need a bit of all of it in our lives just so we know the difference. I've had anxiety attacks once or twice for no seeming reason (once was medicine doing it) and it is a really awful and weird feeling. The only thing to hang on to is that it will pass. Glad you are better.