Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A surprise phone call

Today I received a phone call from a cousin whom I have never met, although I knew her sister and brother. She is writing a book, which will be published, about my mother's side of the family. She heard from one of my other cousins that i sometimes write little essays, and hoped I could write something about my Grandpa on my mother's side. I could indeed. I remember him well. He seemed on the surface to be stern and unbending, but there was a rapport between us that let me peek into his hidden side, and we shared many an experience. He had a sense of humor and a warm place in his heart for the red-headed, freckled little girl with the crooked back and skinny frame. He never had a sharp word to say to me and was always on my side. Whenever I was being taken to task for some transgression, he flew to my defense. He died before I had a chance to grow up, but I know he would have approved of whatever path I took.
What is it that draws a grandparent so closely to a grandchild? Why was he so kind to me? I wasn't by any means a perfect child. I had a temper. I took chances and got into trouble. I wasn't the quiet, obedient child that my mother wished me to be. I wasn't even pretty, although I was sometimes referred to as "cute". Did he see something in me that was invisible to other members of the family? I wish that he could have lived until I grew up. Like my Grandma on my father's side, he died too young.
It was sonderful to talk with my cousin today. We hope to meet some day and share memories with each other of our mutual ancestors and relatives, enlarging our understanding of how it all came about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you agreed to write something for your cousin. I have done "genealogy" for many years and this "hobby" has brought me into contact with many relatives. Some were so great about answering questions and sharing stories and others.......well -- there's always a spoil sport. I tell myself in 100 yrs. there will come another questioner in my lines and the work I've done will be pricelss to them.