Friday, May 23, 2008

My dreams are getting better all the time

There is an old song (written in 1945) which goes:

Well, what do you know, he smiled at me last night,
My dreams are getting better all the time
Well, what do you know, he looked at me in a different light
My dreams are getting better all the time.
Maybe tonight he'll hold me tight in the moonbeam's glow
My dreams are getting better all the time.

This seems to be holding true for me lately. Last night's "lost" dream was quite enjoyable. Actually, I wasn't lost exactly but I couldn't find my car. But this time, an elderly professor came to my aid and the car was found. In my dreams I am always young, about twenty or so, and usually it is a dark and scary scene, but last night's dream took place in the daytime and involved a university and taking exams and so on. Composing myself for sleep, I tried to direct my thoughts toward a pastoral scene of some kind, but the university was fine too. I'll try for the pastoral scene tonight.
But to the events of the day. This morning my stoic husband drank, without flinching, the very unpleasant contents of a medicine flask, and went off with our daughter to have a full CAT scan. I am a total wimp when it comes to pain or unpleasant medical procedures, but he has endured eye surgery and major surgery for cancer without complaint. When they get him up after surgery, he bravely follows directions, no matter how much it hurts. I call him my old dude, but I must say I do admire his bravery. The results of the scan will be revealed next week.
I have not escaped surgery myself, having had two major surgeries and a broken hip. But I confess to moaning and groaning and needing encouragement and help to get myself going again. I spent six months in the hospital after breaking my hip, and I am sure they all sighed in relief when I was finally discharged. I must have been a royal pain.
But we are both doing well now, and the CAT scan was just a precaution. It only took about an hour. He said it didn't hurt a bit.

No comments: