Friday, May 9, 2008

Here to stay

We went on a delightful day trip today, up the coast to the rhododendron forest where wild rhododendrons bloom in abundance among the redwood trees. The water off the coast sparkled in the sun and we passed the area where the trees were burned in a forest fire more than twenty years ago. The many bare trunks and branches made a dramatic scene and we saw many old-growth redwoods with huge trunks, stretching up into the sky. At the rhododendron park, we left the car and walked on a circular path around and through the blossoming bushes. To my surprise, I managed the walk with only one pause to sit down and rest. I have been having trouble walking for about a year, but I found that I could manage quite well with my canes and a folding chair to sit on when I got tired. After the walk, we drove back to a picnic area and had a delightful picnic, attended by several blue jays who waited around hoping for crumbs. Then a drlve back on a winding one-lane road and a stop for coffee and goodies. All in all, a perfect day!
We are fortunate that we live in one of the most beautiful areas in the world. All up the coast are numerous beaches and parks, many of them well-used surfing spots. We used to drive around (when we could still drive) and watch the surfers out on the water like black birds, poised on their surfboards. Suddenly, as if on a signal, they would all rise up and ride the wave until they either fell off or the wave carried them in. There are many resort areas and one especially, Timber Cove, is as spectacular a place as one could hope to find. Restaurants, beaches, parks, camping areas, all are here for our enjoyment. I have lived in many places, from New York to Texas, but this is the most spectacularly beautiful of all. This is where I intend to spend my last years. I have at last anchored my boat in a safe harbor.

2 comments:

Tamca said...

It is an exceptionally beautiful Spring and I too feel very blessed to live in West Sonoma County. I would also like to stay in my home for the rest of my days.
I am glad that you enjoyed your adventure today.

Joan said...

It sounds like a lovely day. I have only been in Califonia once, for my sister in law's wedding in Santa Cruz. I fell in love with redwoods-they are so ancient and wise.