Monday, May 26, 2008

In a Crabby Mood

Every week, usually on Sunday, my husband and I settle down at our dining room table and make out our shopping list for the week. This sounds so easy, but it entails endless discussions and ruminations about menus and preferences, and budget considerations and usually takes about a half hour. Then we usually forget something or try to order some item that isn't in the store or can't be found by my husband. Since I am diabetic and he cannot eat tomatoes or foods with acid, we are restricted in our choices. This is compounded by the fact that I have been cooking for over 75 years and am pretty bored by the whole thing. Luckily my husband likes to cook and eat, so he keeps us nourished, one way or another.
The news about the tornadoes has me plunged into gloom, thankful that we live in an area that has not much chance of damage by that means. A good many years ago a freak wind came up at our little farmhouse out in the country, and blew down an old chicken barn which had been sagging almost to the ground for years. I had been trying to find someone who would tear it down, but fortunately nature took care of it, and the insurance company paid more than adequately to compensate. I don't remember how we spent the money but I am sure we put it to good use.
What is our government thinking of? The economic stimulus money is coming and lo and behold, those people who paid less that $1200 in taxes, only get $600. What good is that? The ones who really need that money are getting the least. Not that $1200 means all that much, but really! I am almost ready to give up.
Well, have I complained enough? I feel pretty crabby. Take care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your crabby mood must be catching. I've been feeling rather gloomy and grumpy lately myself. What with all the news about gas prices, food prices, earthquakes, tornadoes...it's enough to make the cheeriest person glum. Hang in there...

Dieverdog said...

Yeah, I hate cooking and grocery shopping, too. With money so tight I don't feel I ought to eat at all and everything costs so much. I used to groan when my mother complained about the cost of things going up... now I'm doing the same thing! It is depressing at times, but I try to remind myself how lucky I am and how much I have to be thankful for, so many are very much more worse off... but sometimes we need to let off steam I guess.