Saturday, May 17, 2008

Burma Shave!

Does anyone remember the old Burma Shave signs? They have all gone away with the coming of the superhighways and fast-speed cars, but they used to be a source of amusement on the long, slow journeys along the old country lanes and roads of my childhood. We would bounce along, squeezed into the old Model T Ford or Overlander, all watching for the line of square wooden Burma Shave signs, and trying to read them as we rattled past.
That blue tube is like Louise
You get a thrill with every squeeze
Burma Shave!

The monkey took one look at Jim
And threw the peanuts back at him.
Burma Shave!

We tried to memorize them and had contests to see who could remember the most. Some of us were not above making a new one up on the spot if it would help win the competition.

Slow down, Pa, sakes alive
Ma missed number four and five
Burma Shave!
Times were more innocent then, and we were youngsters growing up on a remote farm with little contact with sophisticated society. We had no radio or newspaper service, and seldom got into town. I was in my teens before I ever saw a movie, and it was a silent film. I remember it almost completely - it was a war film and involved a battle scene where the infantry was attacked with poison gas. A large printed word flashed on the screen "GAS!" and the men on the screen began clutching their throats and falling to the ground. It almost scared me to death.
But the Burma Shave signs amused us and kept us entertained as we made our way from our farm to neighbors or relatives up and down the road. Signs were painted on the sides of barns to advertise various products - Blood makes good paint, Queen of the Pantry Flour, Deere runs good - some of them are faintly visible even now.
According to Google, the signs were still being used in the sixties, but I haven't seen one since the forties, if then. I remember them fondly as part of my childhood, one of the memories I cherish and renew now and then. Take care and let me hear from you, I treasure your comments.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I know of these signs, but am too young to have seen even there last signs set in 1963. But I have enjoyed looking at google images of these.

http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/Images/BHEveryday_lrg.gif

Anonymous said...

I do remember Burma Shave signs. There was a set along Rt. 2 in Ohio near Port Clinton well into the 1970's. As a child, we would go with my dad to watch Hopkins airport being built and eat at a foot long hot dog stand. It was a slower time, a more free time, I cherish my memories of those years a ride in the country was a treat. Thanks for jogging my mind pictures.