Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Benefits of TV

I watched the Indy 500 today on high-definition television, and marveled again at modern technology. Sitting in my comfortable chair, snacks at hand, i got a first-hand look at the thundering speed of the cars and heard the roar of the crowd. From time to time i left my observation post and strolled into the kitchen to stir the lentil soup I had simmering on the stove. I wouldn't have traded my place with anyone there at the race itself. I went to an Infinion race once, sat on the hard seats, made the interminable trip to the restroom, and heard the roar of the crowd in person. The earth shook with the impact of the powerful cars roaring down the track. I don't think I would go again if I was paid to do so. We went home exhausted, after a long wait to exit the parking area. The same opinion holds true for baseball games. I can watch and understand better on my television. I can even lie down and watch from my bed if I so desire. I enjoyed the race today and will watch the horses run at the Pimlico.
We have the little boxer this weekend. She is used to staying with us and is no trouble whatsoever. We would keep her permanently if we could. She just loves my husband and tries to climb into his lapl.
We had a very pleasant day today. My granddaughter brought her little daughter when she came with the dog, and we had the fun of playing with her and marvelling at how fast she is growing. She is more than twice her birth weight and is trying to learn to crawl. We can't believe how fast time has gone. Looking back over the past year, it seems as though only a week or two has gone by. In a couple of weeks my great-granddaughter will be six month old.

1 comment:

Dieverdog said...

Oh, yes watching events from the comfort of home is often much better than what discomforts you must go through in person! And you usually get a better view on the tv. I'm with you on that one. The little boxer sounds very cute, you should take pictures...and of your great grand daughter as well... I'm sure we'd all love to see them both! (before they are all grown up!)