Sunday, April 27, 2008

To sleep, perchance to dream

Although I am a hard-core insomniac, I do occasionally trick myself into falling asleep, and when I do, I have vivid dreams. My dreams fall into two categories, anxiety dreams and surprise dreams. My anxiety dreams are always the same, with me lost and walking down trolley tracks in the industrial part of some town, in the dark and with rain falling. I never have any money and there are never taxis around. I can see into some of the shops where shadowy figures are working at machines, but no one ever comes out and offers assistance. When I wake up I am shaken with fear and have trouble going back to sleep.
My surprise dreams are happy events, but all have the same theme over and over again. My husband and i are always working at cleaning up and renovating an old house we are living in, and at some point in our labors we discover a door at the end of the kitchen. We go through to either another whole section of the house, or a stairway that leads to the upstairs. These surprise rooms are always beautifully furnished and there are almost always other people living there. In last night's dream we discovered a whole apartment upstairs, with tables holding crispy rolls, finger food and a family sitting around a round table eating. They explained that they came in from the outside by another stairway and had been there for quite a while. No confrontation ever develops and the dream always ends at this point. While I am trying to fall asleep I try to direct my thoughts to this dream but I am not always successful.
What do these dreams mean? Clearly the lost dream is caused by anxiety and fear. But what does the happy dream mean? Am I looking for a new direction in my life? Is it the awakening of another side of my personality? Sometimes the mood of a dream will carry over to my mood of the next day. I suppose dreams are just the random connections of the brain circuits which fire off electrical currents at random. My husband dreams lucid dreams and can change the current of the dream at will. That I cannot do. The best I can do is to remember the dream and hope that the happy one comes more often than the anxiety one.

3 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I love dream interpretation, but I never put too much into what other people say about the dreams. If I can't figure out why I am dreaming it I research what it may be. Dream moods has this to say: To see an old, run-down house in your dream, represents your old beliefs, attitudes and how you used to think or feel. A situation in your current life may be bringing about those same old attitudes and feelings. Alternatively, the old house may symbolize your need to update you mode of thinking.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thanks for the comment. Your interpretation makes sense when I think about it. Very often the surprise part of the dream involves my grandma's house, which I loved and where i spent a lot of time as a child. That house is still standing today but I haven't been in it for over seventy years.

Dieverdog said...

I dream often of old houses, too. Room after room and they are fun to explore. Sometimes I'm living in them, sometimes just visiting but they are always interesting. I find it amazing how my mind can come up with such detail and it seems so real while I'm in the dream. I can't always remember as much as I'd like to once I wake up. My stress dreams often center around trying to find a bathroom and I can't or I do and something is wrong and it doesn't work for some reason... when I finally wake up... guess what? I need to go to the bathroom!