Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My husband had a medical appointment today, so my daughter took us there, and then we went to Best Buy and I purchased a new microwave which I find quite a convenience. My old microwave lasted about thirty years and still worked except that we couldn't always get the door open. I use it for heating leftovers and baking potatoes and so on, I have never actually learned to cook food in it. This is of stainless steel and quite handsome.
After we visited the store, we stopped for lunch at a little restaurant that has recently opened up, and had a very nice llittle meal. Putting the microwave into place brought to mind a funny experience that we had with our first microwave. This happened early on, so it must have been at least twenty years ago, but I can still remember vividly. I had attempted to cook a chicken, and the thing had come out perfectly rigid and hard as a rock. I put it on a platter, not knowing quite how to serve it. My husband, coming into the kitchen, saw it and cried out in alarm "What is that?" "That," I replied, "Is Old Ginger." Old Ginger is a mummy on display in the museum in San Francisco, and I had indeed mummified that chicken. We kept it for a few days to show off to neighbors and friends, and then I threw it out. I have cooked eggs and vegetables, but now I think I will consult Google for some reciipes and see if I can get a new start.
All in all, it was a very pleasant day, and we saw some lovely scenery on our way there and back. Tomorrow we tackle the leak in the water pipe, and I suppose will solve the problem somehow. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing again with this story...Old Ginger!!! That's a good one! Good luck!!

Dieverdog said...

You are so funny! I bet you have given your husband a number of laughs over the years! Good thing he has a sense of humor (or maybe good teeth?). Microwaves are tricky things, I don't always have much luck with them either.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thanks for your kind comments. My husbnd has a great sense of humor, and usually can find a spark of laughter in even the most trying of events. Today was a bit of a challenge with the leak in the copper pipe, but he will persevere and fix it, I am sure. I will expound on the problem in tonight's blog.