Friday, April 11, 2008

A lovely day

Today was the first really pleasant day we have had for months. Since November we have had unusually cold, gray days with some freezing at night. Most of our rose buds got frostbitten, and it looks as though we will have no hydrangea blossoms at all this year. I took a short walk in the sun, and the birds were everywhere, singing and twittering. In spite of the lovely day, for some reason I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. I think it was because my husband has been having some health problems and I am fearing the approaching time when we will have to sell our little house here on the hill, and move into an assisted living facility. We are managing very well, with my kind daughter taking us to our medical appointments and our son-in-law helping with the food shopping. But one by one, the retired people here in our neighborhood have had to sell their houses and move into facilities closer to medical care and shopping centers. Sometimes they put the house on the market and simply move out. There are three houses on our street that are just sitting empty, the real estate agents having given up on selling them. We had thought they would sell when the weather got warmer, but so far, no offers at all.
Now would be a good time to buy a house, actually, There are several in the neighborhood that have been for sale for over a year, and all of them have been lowered in price. But that is a project that my husband and I are not quite up to tackling. We used to remodel old, rundown houses and then rent them out, but as my mother-in-law used to say, "Used To is gone. That was then and this is now." She was so right.
Anyway, what I need is a treat of chocolate to cheer myself up. Since there is no candy in the house, I will make do with a cup of hot chocolate and a couple of ritz crackers. I am usually able to shake myself out of the blues with thoughts of my dear little great-granddaughter and my two wonderful grandchildren, so while I am indulging myself with chocolate I shall conjur up pictures of my family, and soon be myself again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful attitude. Chocolate and Ritz crackers are a good mood lifter! People who are depressed should try that instead of popping pills!