Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I learn a lesson (continued)

It was a little warmer there on the bench, and after a few minutes, I calmed down and considered my predicament. I was alone and lost, but most of all, I was hungry. How I wished I had a White Castle hamburger, like the ones we got at the hamburger stand near our apartment! I thought longingly of the burgers we had eaten only last night, and wished fervently that I was there right now.
Just then a light bulb turned on in my brain. What was the matter with me? The trolley ran right past the White Castle! My problem was solved. All I had to do was board the trolley, ride till we came to the hamburger stand, and get off. The apartment was less than a block away.
In a few minutes a trolley pulled up at the stop and a few passengers debarked. I called in to the conductor, enquiring if the trolley indeed passed the White Castle. "Sure," he said. "Hop on."
It was warm in there, and the conductor carried on a running repartee with the passengers, most of which passed over my head. Not being sophisticated, I missed most of the double entendre being bandied back and forth. In retrospect, I have to wonder if this was the infamous Ding Dong Daddy of the D Line, made famous in a loval ditty. But never mind. He was taking me back home.
What lesson did I learn? First, never to go off by myself to strange places. If I coudn't drag one of my cousins along, stay home. Second, always take a sweater or jacket along. And third, jot down the address and phone number so you know where you live and where to call for help. It was a lesson well learned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good life lesson, indeed! Thank you for sharing!

Joan said...

I love your lessons learned, but I think you missed one--that you're a smart lady that can get herself out of a jam. I'm so impressed with your problem solving--all without a cell phone or GPS.
Your writing is beautiful and I enjoy it very much. Randi sent me to your blog, by the way.
Joan

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you both so much. I love your comments. I have lived so long that I have had a chance to get myself into a lot of tricky situations, I will write about them from time to time. thanks again.

Dieverdog said...

I guess White Castles save the day this time! Never underestimate the power of an empty stomach! Good thinking on your part! I love your stories.