Wednesday, April 9, 2008

How I met my husband.

My husband and I were lounging around this afternoon and I decided to test his memory. "Honey," I said, "Do you remember how we met?" He answered promptly and firmly. "Of course. We met in Dallas." "Was it in the daytime or in the evening?" I prompted him. "What were we doing when we met?" He remembered, all right. "It was in the evening, because the street lights were on, You and Beverly were walking down the sidewalk and Chester and I hurried up and caught up with you."
He was entirely right. We were not exactly walking, but more correctly strolling along wishing that we hadn't worn our high heels and nylon hose that was required of all properly dressed young ladies. We were in our summer dress uniforms and grateful for the cool breeze that had come up a little while ago. We paid no attention to the fact that we were being followed until two uniformed figures showed up beside us, walking in the street. i feigned scornful indifference to the tall young man walking beside me, but couldn't resist sneaking a quick glance at him. Ye Gads, he was tall! At least six feet two inches, and gorgeous. Tan, with green eyes fringed with black lashes and arched eyebrows, he looked like a movie star. I moved over and he stepped onto the sidewalk beside me and offered me his arm. Oh Lord, be still my beating heart! Like a newly hatched duckling that bonds to the first object it sees, I fell hopelessly in love. I was a gonner. As I was trying to pull myself together, he casually reached over and handed me an ice cream cone. "Take a bite," he invited me. We shared that cone all the way to the barracks and paused at the gate to say good night. He was dressed in his first class summer uniform, wearing the coveted (and hard to get) Eisenhauer battle jacket, and sporting five stripes on his arm. A non-commissioned officer. And a good-looking one.
"What are you doing tomorrow?" he asked. I hated to actually say it, but I was scheduled for KP duty and it was too late now to try to get someone to substitute for me. So I told the truth. "I'll be on KP duty until about four o'clock. Maybe a little earlier than that, but probably not." There, I thought, now I will never see him again. "Well, I'll wait for you in the day room."
he promised and without trying to kiss me, he and his buddy left and walked away. Goodbye, I thought, I'll never see you again. My heart was broken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wonderful! I love "how we met" stories! And so far, yours is great! What happens next?

Grandma Dottie said...

Thanks for the comment. I will continue my narrative this afternoon, I am finding it great fun to reminisce about those long-ago days, over 62 years married and counting.

Dieverdog said...

That's such a wonderful story! You should write a book! I love how you tell it. How wonderful to have such a nice memory of meeting. Good to know he remembers it as fondly as you do!