Monday, April 14, 2008

A day of joy

Today was a woderful day, as we got to play with my greatgranddaughter who is four months old and learning to communicate with us and play simple little games. She especially likes "Peek-a-boo" and grasping for whatever she can reach. The purpose of the visit was to leave the little boxer "Kaya" with us for a few days and we will be busy indeed with her. She patrols the area of our property, which is all fenced in and covers a half acre all the way down to the street below. Up and down she runs, along the path or straight through the ivy and periwinkle vines. She doesn't seem to mind at all that she is to be separated from her family, and greets us with great joy when she comes. Of course we spoil her, having only an old, old cat to keep us company. The cat is 24 years old, but still holds her own with little Kaya.
I made a Rachael Ray thirty-minute meal for us all, and although it took me about an hour, it did taste good. My husband made a killer salad and we ate in the family room, with a pleasant view of the redwood trees tossing in the wind that blew in from the canyon. Then we had peanutbutter cookies and everyone left and we got the dishes in the dishwasher and now we are ready for some quiet time.
We were awakened this morning by the sound of our neighbor's motorcycles starting up and we could only pull up our electric blanket and thank all the powers that be that it was someone other than ourselves who was riding out into the cold to go to work. My husband and I used to ride a Honda motorcycle and I have some very pleasant memories of our sojourn over the mountain and down the other side, but it was purely for pleasure. Then we got brushed off the road by a car, and the motorcycle went down into a ditch and we picked ourselves up and had to walk home. That was my last ride sitting behind my husband, feeling the wind in my face. He continued to ride, but I took it as a sign that my riding days were over.
Coast-to-Coast radio calls to me. Goodnight, all.

No comments: