Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Peace and Quiet

Tonight is a time for reflection for my husband and myself. A gentle rain is falling and we have the electric heaters on and the cat is sprawled out on the rug, resting. The little boxer dog went home with my granddaughter two days ago, but I still forget that she is gone and go to the door to see if she is all right. What a pleasure it was to have her visit us! Since my husband is almost blind, we have been thinking of applying for a seeing eye dog, but haven't quite made that decision yet. It will probably have to come sometime, as his vision will never improve. He can do the most amazing things just by feel alone and I am always astonished. We discovered a small leak in a copper water pipe a few days ago, and he is planning to solder it back together again, and I know he will do it, too. I am usually called upon to help him, so I become his eyes and some pretty amusing things often happen. A week or so ago, we did some repair work on our dishwasher, and not knowing that we should put the dishwasher on its back, we attempted to do the job from underneath. We both lay down on the floor, peering up into the innards of the thing, and the close proximity of our squirming bodies got us to thinking of romantic interludes in our past. Since we are both well into our eighties, those moments of desire are fairly rare, but I still think he was the most attractive man I ever met. In all of the 62 years we were married I was never once attracted to any other man. I had teachers I admired, but that was purely an intellectual interest. I can honestly say I was faithful, even when my husband was stationed thousands of miles away.
But that was then and this is now, and we are in a very contented place in our lives. We have to look out for each other, but that is no big thing. I sometimes fall and have to be pulled to my feet, and my husband is having some health problems that require frequent visits to his doctor, but our daughter very kindly takes him. I honestly can't think of a single thing we desire, except maybe a democratic president. I will vote for Barack Obama if he gets the nomination. I'm glad we are going to see the conclusion of this election. Thanks for the comments, I look forward to them every day.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I recently watched a television show about the boxer breed. Some are being trained as service dogs. If you are considering a service dog, you should investigate and apply, I have heard that the wait for dogs can be long.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you for your comment. Little boxer dogs are smart, but they are good at pretending to be dense, as when they don't want to follow a command. Then they simply look away, as though they hadn't heard. We became very fond of this little dog and look forward to having her visit again.