Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ships that pass in the night

Playing chess on the internet is like a blind date, or perhaps can best be described as a one-night stand. It is possible to set up an encounter with a specific player if both know where to find each other, but usually it's catch-as-catch-can, and one night I plunged into the game as one of over 7,000 players. i logged into a social room, meaning one where anyone of any skill level could be found, and found LoonieMommy31 waiting on the black side of the board, waiting for an opponent.
Perfect. Her (or his) score was 1173. Mine was 1176. I clicked onto the sit button and typed in a greeting. Loonie shot back the letters asl, and I typed in "I am an 86- year-old Grandmother from California."
No one ever believes me, except for a priest from New Orleans, who responded with a non-committal answer which I have now forgotten. But Loonie shot back "LOL" which means "Laughing out loud." "It's true," I protested and Loonie answered "Liar. If you can't play any better than you can lie, I will knock you off the board."
I of course accepted the challenge, and the game was on. We both played conservatively and used up about twelve moves to set up our pieces. The pawns moved up to the middle of the board, making room for the bishops to move out. The knights sashayed up to the middle, where they faced each other in the classic English opening. Loonie and I both castled. Loonie moved down to threaten my rook.
What happened next defies all logic, It will forever remain a mystery to me. I honestly don't know what I did. Without even meaning to I somehow performed a brilliant move which checkmated Loonie, and ended the game. I only know that I shot up the queen to push back the knight, and the little notice came up on the board saying "Checkmate. White wins the game."
I was so shocked that I failed to type in the traditional "good game" message that the winning player usually sends the loser. I tried to see what I had done, I did invite LoonieMommy to play another game, but then I saw that LoonieMommy had left the room.
Like ships that pass in the night, make brief contact and then go on their way, we had met briefly and parted. How will I ever find her (or him) again? Sometimes as many as 9,000 players are on board. I will play again, and as almost always, will meet someone interesting and fun, but I will always remember Loonie and my miraculous win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL this is too funny. i'm surprised loonie didn't confirm your honesty at the end of the game!! =)