Thursday, October 16, 2008

The debate, at last

Time has passed so quickly that I can't believe it's been ten days since I last entered a blog. I guess i was waiting for the debate to gather my thoughts together enough to write a little. It was a good debate, but didn't change my mind one whit. I voted for Obama on an absentee ballot, and made sure I mailed it in. We have a new mail carrier and the poor fellow has such a long route that he doesn't get to my mail box until six in the evening. Being new, he is still a little slow.
My husband used to deliver mail, and had a very interesting route. He carried the mail on his back, in a pouch, walking down Madrone Canyon in Larkspur, California, and delivered to several of the music groups including the Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin, who was a dear, if eccentric, little soul. She used to meet him at the door with a cup of coffee, and greeted him as warmly as she would have greeted her own Daddy, causing us to think that maybe she considered him to be a father figure. Although surrounded by a group of hangers on, she still seemed to be lonely. That was long ago, in the early seventies. On Saturdays I used to walk the route with him. He was liked by everyone on the route.
Oh, those were the days. We used to walk up the mountain to what was known as the East Peak, which we reached by walking the fire trail which started right behind our house. Halfway up was a rustic Mountain Home Inn, where lunch could be purchased, quite delicious, and then the trail continued up and up to the very top of Mount Tamalpais, and the whole valley would be spread out far below. If we looked carefully we could see our little house almost hidden among the redwood trees.
It seems rather ironic that I can hardly walk today. I use a cane and stagger around holding onto doorways and railings when i go up and down steps. It's not so much the result of my broken hip as the consequences of Parkinson's Disease, a troubling and almost untreatable affliction. But one cannot reach my advanced age without a few ailments. I keep up my spirits and can still do all of my own housework. My faithful husband is always at hand.
I will try to get in the groove once again. Take care and keep in touch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to read you this morning. Your blog is always interesting as it's filtered through a lot of living. Especially enjoyed reading your husband's mail route. Many years ago, I accompanied my uncle on a rural mail route. He didn't have any performers; but, there were many people from Eastern Europe, I was thrilled when it was newspaper delivery day because the printing so foreign to me was beautiful to see.

Welcome back and take care. HH

Random Thoughts said...

It was a while that you were not blogging. I missed your words. I am curious if you saw Obama's roast the other night? It is very funny to watch. I enjoyed watching McCain's comfort level grow during the speech from frightened and awkward to a point he was enjoying himself as well. It is quite humorous, if you haven't seen this I recommend taking a look.

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?swf=http%3A//s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/cps-vfl59689.swf&video_id=v5SWQJWm6Tg&rel=1&hqt=1&eurl=http%3A//www.reddit.com/&iurl=http%3A//i3.ytimg.com/vi/v5SWQJWm6Tg/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJnW4oNt6nKnQfgi8114zyf&use_get_video_info=1&load_modules=1

Dieverdog said...

wow, you always have such interesting things to share! Lots of interesting memories. I think a lot has to do with how you tell it too, that makes it such fun to read