Friday, October 24, 2008

A few days of idleness, a day or two of contemplation

Howdy! I am back in action again after a couple of days of some strange malady which kept me on the couch with my husband in attendance at my beck and call. I was, for some reason, dizzy when I tried to walk, and could only stagger around, even needing to be helped into the bathroom from time to time. Then in the evening, my arms went numb and I could see only a little, with black spots dancing before my eyes. I naturally feared the worst, but I thought, "If this is how death comes to me, this isn't that bad. I'll shut my eyes, say the Act of contrition, and off I'll go." Luckily, it wasn't to be, and today I am recovered, and getting ready to go to a memorial service for a long-time friend, who used to attend a writing class with me, and wrote heart-breaking poetry. She had been ill for quite a while, and I hope her passing was easy.
We still have our little boxer dog, who sneaked into the living room and stretched herself out on the sofa when I wasn't looking, and looked so comfortable that I let her stay there awhile. She knows exactly what is permitted and what is not, but like a child she tries to get away with mischief now and then. She follows my husband around like a shadow.
While laid up on the sofa, I listened to a good book tape about the Civil War. The carnage that went on between the two armies seems unbelievable to us now, sometimes they fought face-to-face, clubbing each other with gun butts and swards, at other times firing point-blank into each others faces. I have enjoyed going to Civil War Reenactments in the summer and they are very interesting.
It is interesting to me that although I am a skeptic about religion, if I am ill or injured, out comes the rosary and my lips move in prayer and it does seem to help. I though I had forgotten the Act of contrition, but when I needed it, there it was. Old habits die hard.
bye all, and stay in touch. I love getting comments.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope you are able to read or listen to the book you mentioned. I have a few on my list of hopefully get to read them soon, but College courses have me too busy for starting a new book. I am reading a book I have read before which helps when read a paragraph or few pages every night or two before passing out.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you for your comment. I haven't gotten the book yet but hope to get it soon. I am indeed feeling better, and had a nice day today. Luckily for me, I have my husband to take care of me when I am under the weather. I actually think he enjoys it!