Saturday, October 18, 2008

Motorcycles and memories

This is an ideal time to blog - dinner is cooking on the stove (Swiss Steak), my husband is listening to a Mountain Man book tape, and the dog is on her bed listening for noises from outside. I had been listening to the book as well, but it is pure fantasy with the Mountain Man, Smoke Jensen, slaughtering about three men in every chapter, usually by gunshot but occasionally by fire, explosives or drowning. Now his wife Sally has been kidnapped by three outlaws and heaven knows what Smoke Jensen will do to them when he finds them, which he will. I am better off not knowing!
This has been a quiet day, with the neighbors all off on their motorcycles and nothing much going on in the neighborhood. My husband used to have a motorcycle that he rode up and down the hills and valleys of Marin, usually with me riding on the back. I will admit that there is something hugely macho about a man roaring up and down on his "wheels" and to the female clinging on behind, he seems as close to Godly as a man can get. We got brushed off the road by a car one time, and as the motorcycle skidded down into the ditch, my husband yelled "jump!" and we both threw ourselves off at the same time. I landed with a thump onto his broad back and neither of us was hurt a bit. We laugh about it now but the driver of the car neither slowed down nor seemed to notice what she had done. It was not an uncommon experience.
Not being able to drive a car or ride his motorcycle after he lost his vision was probably the hardest thing for my husband to endure. He especially suffered when I was driving and he was a helpless passenger. He noted and remarked upon every little mistake I made. Then six years ago I had a diabetes episode (luckily at home, not behind the wheel of the car) and my doctor warned me not to drive anymore. We do have a kind daughter who takes us anywhere we need to go. I suppose there are a good number of people driving around who should give up the privilege but one can't blame them for resisting.
Well, only a couple of weeks before the big day. We are waiting with bated breath. Take care and keep in touch.

1 comment:

Random Thoughts said...

The freedom of driving must have been very difficult for both of you to let go of. It sounds as if you (like me) live in an area where driving is required to get most everywhere.