Sunday, October 5, 2008

The first rain and the first fire in the stove

It's hard to believe that this is Sunday evening already. Where did the week go? We had the first rain of the season yesterday and built our first fire in the wood stove last night. We heat mainly by electricity but there is something so comforting about a wood fire that we couldn't resist lighting it and letting the warm glow of the flames light the room. With a contented sigh, the dog settled down in front of it, and stayed there quietly until we went to bed. We don't actually burn wood anymore, but do burn pressed wood logs which are a lot easier to light and make a lot less ashes.
Tomorrow is shopping day, so I will soon have to make out the list for the week, and hope that I don't forget any vital item. My husband does the shopping, with the help of my son-in=law who kindly takes him to the store and helps find items now and then. He does pretty well, at that. Once in a while he will read my list incorrectly and I will find an item I didn't want in the shopping bag, but it happens very rarely. I used to go along as well, but as I no longer can walk well, they find it easier to leave me home! I spend the time tidying up the house and rather enjoy my time alone.
I am afraid my creative ideas aren't very evident tonight. Am I slowing down? Or am I simply in a slump? For a while in my life I took valium which leveled out my moods and then i was switched to zanax, which made me somewhat giddy all of the time. Now I resort to Tylenal but only about once a week. I'll try to be more inspired next time I blog! Good night all and keep in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi....Hope you are well. HH

cass said...

hi dottie,
i'm one of those who reads but doesn't post much. i especially enjoy it when you share your creative writing, but most of all when you reminisce. as a scrapbooker i believe it's important to preserve and share our memories of the past. keep on and take care
cass