Thursday, August 7, 2008

Time is rushing by

Time is rushing by too quickly for me. Next month I'll be 86 and I'm not ready yet. If someone asked me what I still wanted to do, I would have to say that I have done all that I ever hoped to do, and more, but no way am i ready to cash in my cards. i still want to see my great-granddaughter go off to school, I hope to see a little brother come on the scene, and I hope to be here for my grandson's wedding. A lot is still to come. Will I be able to hang in there a few more years?
I saw in the obituaries today that an acquaintance of mine, not yet even sixty, had passed away. It gave me pause to think that she had been cheated of at least twenty good years with her grandchildren and husband, while I am clinging on at almost 86. I don't know why I peruse the obituaries every day, since they do make me sad, and are a constant reminder of the fragility of life. Usually the departed are in their eighties or nineties but not always. Sometimes life ends cruelly soon.
Life here is serene and easy. My neighbor was up from San Francisco for a couple of days, and she had a tree cutter come and trim some of the trees down below her house. It gives us a nice view of the road down below. Our hummingbirds are enjoying the feeder we put out by the roses and my little cat is hanging in there although she is 24 and can hardly get around any more. My husband made chicken and vegetable stir-fry for dinner, so I had an easy evening. He likes to cook! Making a cake or cookies is a treat for him. Needless to say, I don't discourage him for a moment.
Night all. Keep in touch.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I do not know you in person, but I believe you are to be in excellent health. You are living every day to it's fullest and I believe that is one of the secrets to a happy, healthy and long life. I love to read about all of the things you have experienced in your life. It sounds like you have accomplished many things, but there are a few more things for you to do here.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you so much. I come from a long-lived family, with an ancestor who lived to be one-hundred and eleven years and eleven months. He had been a drummer in the Revolutionary War and is listed in Google - His name was Levi Pettis. He left a long string of descendants, most of whom lived well into their eighties and nineties. My mother lived to be ninety-six. So I have high hopes to make it for at least ten more years.