Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's all my fault

Yesterday had a few quirks to it, including having the water shut off for four hours. This happens about once a year up here, usually due to problems with the water pump. It was back on in time to get dinner going, which for my husband and myself consisted of left-overs, which we enjoyed a little early.
The other quirk involved the television set, without which our lives are monotonous indeed. I had ordered and received a movie disc from Netflix, and had even managed to play it. After it had ended, and I had figured out how to get the disc back out, I tried to watch the Olympic games on the television. Nothing came on the screen. Only a blank blue screen.
"Honey," I called. "The cable must have come off the set. Could you check it for me please?
My husband, annoyed at having to get up from his reclining chair, called back. "You must have pushed the wrong button on the remote. Try it again."
I could tell by his voice that he had decided to play the accuser/defender game, at which he excels.
It goes like this, usually without change from one game to the next. He makes an accusation, I defend myself.
"That may be it," I called back. "Shall I try all of them?"
"How long have you had the set?' he demanded to know. "You should know how to use it by now."
"I do," I answered. "I didn't do anything that i don't usually do. I think the cable has come apart."
With an audible sigh and some grumbling he arose from the chair and checked the cable line. "There," he declared triumphantly. "There is nothing wrong with the cable."
I was expecting his next demand. "Let me try it," he said with an aggrieved look. "I don't know what you did but you did something that has to be straightened out."
He tried all of the buttons on the remote. He then depressed the buttons on the side of the set, causing various letters to appear in the upper right corner. TV. DIC. Spbtc1 Spbtc2. "What does this mean? What is DIC?"
I wanted to shriek in frustration, but calmly pulled out the instruction manual, but of course could not understand what it was trying to tell me. Finally I suggested, timidly, that we bring out the small TV set from the bedroom, hook it up to the cable, and see if it would work. It was a matter of moments, and the deed was done. The small TV worked perfectly when connected to the cable. Without the cable the screen was blank, just like the other set.
Without another word, my husband slid to the back of the set, fiddled with the various plugs attached to the back of the set, and just like magic, the screen came back to light, and when i changed channels, it worked perfectly.
"I told you," said my husband. "It was the cable. It wasn't plugged in."
He didn't say it was something I had done or not done. That is not part of the game. When the problem is solved, the game is over. Until the next time.

2 comments:

Dieverdog said...

Oh I just hate it when men act like that. I often have troubles with electronic equipment and my male friend who's a whiz at that stuff often can't seem to figure out why it isn't working. If he can't fix it it's like it's my fault somehow, though he's not mean about it. I guess sometimes you have to let them think we need them to save the day. I guess that's ok.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you for your comment. I always think that men are all made from the same cloth, but by different patterns. They all seem to have the same traits, so I try to have a sense of humor about it all. We've been married for 62 years, so I should be used to it by now..