Saturday, July 19, 2008

Nitros Oxide

I looked forward eagerly to having my yearly dental visit to have my teeth cleaned. It meant that wonderful experience of being administered nitrous oxide, the "laughing gas." In days gone by, nitrous oxide was an exponent of many a dinner party, being used as a modern participant uses ecstasy. Usually the young men indulged in this pastime, while the young ladies watched in amusement as some young man laughed helplessly and uttered ridiculous things while under the influence. I myself have been known to indulge fanciful thoughts while being scaled, scraped, nicked and probed by the hygienist.
This time it was different. Due perhaps to my having gone into tachycardia on my last visit, the dentist would only allow a very low volume of nitrous oxide, and as far as I was concerned, it didn't do a thing.
Flat on my back, with the hygienist breathing heavily into my face, she looked at the dials and pronounced me ready. Ready! As she scraped and chipped away, I slowly, very slowly, relaxed and tried to breathe deeply. I couldn't seem to reach that euphoric state I usually sank into, and felt every jolt and prod. First she was at the front, then digging around in the back, and then the cruel fiend started on the side and actually cut away a portion of my gums.
I opened my eyes and it seemed that she was leering at me. Or making a face. She had seemed pleasant and kind before she started, but she was definitely enjoying torturing me. Then my chin started trembling and she took that moment to squirt water into my mouth, causing me to cough and splatter water here and there.
What was the matter with her? Hadn't she been trained properly? I would certainly have to speak with the dentist about her incompetence. But I was indeed slowly sinking under the spell of the nitrous oxide, and decided that it wasn't all that important anyway - it might even make an amusing story to write about for my writing class. I drifted off, at last, into a happy state of relaxation, and suddenly I was wide awake and breathing oxygen. It was all over.
"How was it?" asked the dentist when he came in to assess my condition. "Did you get through it O.K.?" "Oh, sure," I lied through my now polished and shining teeth. "It was fine." Sometimes it isn't even worth it to tell the truth.

No comments: