Friday, July 18, 2008

I Go To Heaven (continued)

I had a lot of questions but when I started to speak, the Angel raised its hand and said thoughtfully, "Actually, I can read your mind. I think we can save time if I answer some of them without you asking. First of all, I have always been here. All I do is answer questions. That is my sole purpose in life. I have been here since the beginning of time. I am part of the establishment. I am a charter member. Now, let's get down to business. You have read the rules. Rule 2 means exactly what it says. You can eat what you want up here, dress however you like, and live whatever lifestyle suits you. If you have ever been in California you know what I mean. Rule 1 and 3 are self-explanatory. They are suggestions only. I wish I could let you see your mother, but that would mean you had to see all of the others too, And we don't want that. I can assure you that she is happy. She is a great one for following rules."
The Angel ruffled its feathers and stretched out a bare foot, and wiggled its toes. Then it stretched out its other foot and flexed its arch. Then it stood up and stretched, and bent forward and took my hand. "Nice to have met you," it said politely. "I'm glad we had this little chat. Now I have to buzz off." It flapped away, hanging onto its halo with one hand. It left the harp leaning up against the cloud. I watched it until it was out of sight.
I hadn't the slightest idea what to do next. I thought of the rules again. Rule 2 was a good rule. I thought of California, and my little house on the hill above Austin Creek, with the redwoods growing all around. I could see the flowers blooming beside the path, and the pretty redwood deck my husband had built. I saw my little black cat sunning itself in a pool of sunshine. Strangely enough, I could smell the heavenly aroma of freshly perked coffee and hear the faint clink of dishes being taken out of the dishwasher. Then the doorbell rang and I could hear my little neighbor telling my husband that her cat had come home after all. I opened my eyes and sunlight was streaming into my bedroom and I realized that I was back on solid ground, in my own house, in my own bed, in California. I hadn't been in heaven after all. It had all been just a dream. I think.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

That really is one vivid dream! Amazing. In your dream, heaven is almost what I thought it to be, well, that's what St. Peter said isn't it. So maybe my heaven will not have all of the millions and billions of souls, maybe I will see only the ones I choose. Thanks for sharing such a great dream. When the time comes for us both, I will look for you there.

Grandma Dottie said...

Thanks for your comment. I never did see my mother, did I? If anyone is up there, she will be there for sure. Her faith was absolutely rock strong. Someday the mystery will be revealed to us all!