Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Night Owls

Hi all, I have had trouble getting into my blog, bit I finally managed to reset my password and got in again. I will admit that I am a kluz when it comes to computers.
Anyway, here I am at 9:35 P.M., just getting around to blogging. i am a hopeless night owl. i have been an insomniac all of my life, and feel as Robert Bentley said he felt, that all of his life he had been doing two things he didn't want to do. He had been going to bed at night and getting up in the morning. I am now in the enviable position of being able to stay up as late as I like and rising again when I am ready. Oh, joy! This morning I didn't get up until ten. My husband rose even later. With only a very old cat to care for, we can do as we please. Of course, when the little boxer dog comes to stay with us, the picture changes. She wakes up at seven, and will brook no nonsense about sleeping late.
There have been quite a few famous people who have been night owls, some of whom were red-haired and left-handed as well. Winston Churchill is probably the best-known of them, having disrupted the entire White House with his nocturnal wanderings and late rising in the morning. Bill Clinton was a night owl, as was Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe. Percy B. Shelley was an insomniac and Edgar Allen Poe, who wrote poems into the night. President Abraham Lincoln was known to have studied in front of the fireplace until morning, using the glow of the fire as his light source. So I am in good company.
As far as I know, no one else in my family was a night owl. When I read at the kitchen table late at night, I was alone. Everyone else was in bed, properly asleep. I don't remember being told to go on to bed, and I am sure i stayed up well past midnight. This didn't exempt me from getting up with everyone else in the morning, so I was in a permanent state of sleep deprivation. Somehow I survived.
Now they tell us that we need at least seven, preferably eight hours of sleep each night. For night owls, that will never be.
Unless the whole structure of the work force changes. How glad I am that I am retired and can go my own way at last.

1 comment:

Dieverdog said...

I am a red-headed night owl, too (though not left handed). I have seldom had insomnia I just like to stay up late. I don't much like getting up in the morning -I envy you your freedom to sleep and wake as you please. Although when I can sleep in and an to, then somehow I never am able on those days. Isn't that life for you?