Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lazy days

For some reason, things have slowed down for us here. Maybe it is because it is the middle of July, the "dog days" of summer. Not that it has been warm. We are actually having an unusually cool summer. But we find ourselves sitting listlessly around, watching the hummingbirds at the feeder. Most of the time I am reclined on the sofa, head on a pile of cushions and not even alert to the news, sometimes listening to the radio and sometimes just dozing away there. It is a pleasant sort of life, but not productive at all.
We did go to a salad luncheon on Tuesday, a delightful affair where we dined with old friends and ate delicious salads furnished by the ladies of the church guild. We go every year and were delighted to go again this year. Since we ate copiously I did not feel the need to cook dinner, and we made do with a can of soup. Then last night we dined with my daughter and her husband, a truly gourmet meal which we enjoyed very much, prepared with skill and imagination. Today I did manage to get together our evening meal, but my husband wasn't feeling especially well, so I have a bowl of leftovers. Since we had two enjoyable days and a quiet day today, why do I feel that the time has just passed me by? The week is almost gone and I am left with a blank space in my life. Is this the way it is going to be for us now? We badly need our little Kaya dog to keep us awake and active. We hope to get her back soon.
I did manage to pull myself together to watch Senator Obama give his speech in Berlin. He is a great speaker, and got a good reception. This is going to be quite a year with the election coming up. Hope Obama wins by a landslide.
Well, this will be short. I still haven't loaded the dishwasher (that's how lazy I am) and must get it done. Night all. Please keep in touch.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hello from Kentucky! I was blog hopping and stopped to read yours. I hate going to the dentist. It is like torture for me every time. I loved reading about your dream. My dreams are so vivid. Sometimes, when I wake up I don't know where I am. It's like there is another dimension and I have been there. Usually, I dream about people that have passed but they are always young in my dreams.
Come over and visit me "Living On The Other Side of the Hill" sometime. Just click on my name at the top of this comment in blue. I enjoyed my visit with you. Thanks for letting me stop by for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy. Thanks for your comment. I clicked on your blog and find that we have much in common, since I worked for the government for a long time and retired from the Post Office twenty years ago. I love being retired, sleeping late, letting the housework go if I don't feel like doing it. I love your blog. I'll go back to it and read more when I have time. Bye for now.