Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lost in the clothes hamper

When my grandson was small, we lived about seventy miles away and so I used to write him letters about little pretend people who lived outside my house in the elephant plant patch. I decided to share one with my readers, written about twenty years ago.
Dear Eli,
I sat down to write a story, and as I stared helplessly at my typewriter, and it stared back at me, I realized that I hadn't seen those little pretend people all day. I hadn't seen them yesterday, either. Where were they? I looked under the bed, and under the sofa and chairs, but no one was there. I got worried. I even went out into the cold night and looked under the bushes and went up and down the rows of rose bushes, calling out to them in a loud voice. "Where are you, little people?" No answer. A man was walking his dog and looked at me very strangely, but I didn't care. All I could think of was how cold it was, and how those poor little people were lost out there.
But maybe they were inside and hiding from me. I went back in. i looked everywhere. I began to get angry. "You come out this very minute. Stop fooling around!" I yelled. I made Grandpa look too. Then I sat down on the edge of the bed and thought very hard. I thought so hard that my hair stood on end. My ears twitched. My nose wiggled. And I remembered something. "Oh, oh" I said to myself. "You changed the sheets and pillowcases on this bed yesterday. Then you threw them in the clothes hamper. Look in there."
I went into the bathroom and carefully lifted the lid on the hamper. A dirty face cloth flew out and landed on my head. A handkerchief flew out and landed on the floor. Out came a towel and a pair of socks. Those little people were in there and they were so angry they were throwing everything out. "Stop, stop," I said. "How did you get in there?" At first they were so angry they talked in little people talk. "Grpplmn! Admtffr! Gillpogner." I couldn't understand a word they said. But then they let me help them out and onto my bed. "We were in the bed when you yanked off the sheets and blankets," they said. "You threw all of us into the hamper. We are so hungry we could eat a dirty sock!" They looked at me for a minute, and then I knew what to do. I went to the kitchen and brought back some cookies and an apple. They gobbled the cookies and apple down, and then, because they were so tired, they curled up on my bed and fell asleep. Next time I change the sheets I will look very carefully before I put them in the hamper. I looked again at the little people sleeping on my bed. Each one had a big smile on its face. Love, Grandma

2 comments:

Judy said...

This is so cute. I just love it. My grandson is only one but I will remember the little people for him someday. My mom used to tell us stories about the fairies that lived under the porch. I had not thought about that in years. Thanks for a great post. I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment. I'll have to dig up some more stories about the little people. I also wrote about baby mouse and mother mouse. I have the stories in a box somewhere in the house. I'll see if I can find them. My grandson is a grown-up now but he too remembers the fun we had. Thanks again.