Friday, October 30, 2009

A long time ago

True to my resolve, I tried out a new recipe, and to my great gratification, it turned out well. It was listed as salmon puff, and was easy to prepare and tasted good. I have a pile of recipe books, so I should be able to keep this up for a long time.
Today passed very pleasantly, warm and sunny outside, with the hummingbirds darting back and forth just outside the window in the family room.
I chanced upon a video display of Janis Joplin singing some of her songs, and it reminded me that she died 39 years ago, so many of my readers probably had not been born when she was with us. She lived just down the street from my house when we were living in Larkspur, California and my husband delivered her mail. She worked hard at being outrageous but at heart she was just an insecure, although talented, young woman. Unfortunately, she threw away her life on drugs and died alone and lonely.
Oh, the times I have seen. I remember when Charles Lindbergh used to ride his motorcycle past our house, on his way to the University of Wisconsin, and the excitement when he flew his plane across the ocean to France. We all listened to the radio when his baby was kidnapped and killed, and when the "trial of the century" took place. I have lived through wars and droughts and depressions and earthquakes and floods. Changes are taking place even today that are life-changing. i hope I have still more time to watch the passage of events and am able to understand and appreciate them. I have been lucky!

No comments: