Sunday, October 25, 2009

A tamale pie

I must be doing better - I tried out a new recipe for dinner - tamale pie, and hope it turns out well. It is at this moment in the oven and looks rather promising. I am little by little teaching my husband how to cook, and he is embracing the concept enthusiastically. It is all part of my new lifestyle which I am planning for the future, in which I no longer shoulder responsibilities and let others make decisions. I am looking forward to the day when i can consider myself a placid old lady and let my husband do the worrying. That would be quite a switch, but not impossible.
We have the option of going to Yountville to the veterans home where everything is furnished, food, lodging, medical care, entertainment - all for a minimal sum each month. We visited it once and felt that we would vegetate there and last maybe a couple of weeks before we fled screaming out into the world of the living again. The rooms are small, with just room for a bed and wardrobe and maybe a computer. There is a community room where there is a TV and a table or two for board games or jigsaw puzzles. Meals are taken in a large dining room, and are reputed to be nothing to brag about. We came home grateful for our little house where we are free to do as we please and eat what we want. Some people do adjust and live there for years and years but I don't think it is the answer for us.
Keep in touch - I like to hear from you.

1 comment:

Dieverdog said...

I hope you can stay in your little house always - and keep writing things down - you always sound so full of life that I can't imagine you any other way! Hope your health continues for a very, very long time!