Sunday, June 20, 2010

JUST FOR THE HALIBUT

My husband does the weekly shopping, and since he is visually impaired, he sometimes buys items I would rather avoid. However, he always hands the check-out list to me so that I can check the prices and confirm his purchases. I quickly scanned down the long list and saw an item that almost sent me into shock.
“What’s this?” I cried out, in dismay, “Thirty-two dollars for fish? This can’t be right!”
“Check the package,” he replied calmly, “It’s in the refrigerator.”
So it was. It was still in the brown paper in which it had been wrapped, and was clearly marked “fresh halibut.” Eighteen dollars per pound!
“Why did you buy this? We get sole for a lot less and it is much easier to cook.,” I complained.
He couldn’t resist one of his quips, so of course he replied, “Oh, just for the halibut.”
What to do? Luckily, I had seen a chef on television, preparing halibut, so I had a glimmering of the process. I unwrapped the package, and gazed at the smelly, pale flesh of the fish, which I knew would be our dinner. I leave the rest of the story to your imagination.

No comments: