Monday, December 1, 2008

Coast to Coast Radio

In the evening, while composing myself for sleep, I listen to a radio program called "Coast to Coast radio" which nearly always gives me some new idea to ponder. Last night it was the information, apparently verified, that mental disorders are genetic and that the genes can be identified. This was of keen interest to me since i am an obsessive-compulsive checker and although I consulted a psychiatrist for years, I never quite broke myself of my compulsion. It is much better now and I can stand back and watch myself with some amusement as i complete my ritual. I still have to do it, though. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is an anxiety driven manifestation. It is genetic, however, I am sure.
This has caused me to wonder if the many counseling sessions troubled people attend are of any use whatsoever. We used to put a lot of faith in psychiatrists and insurance companies would pay for sessions lasting as long as two years, That is a lot of time on the couch.
Borderline personality is an interesting mental quirk, as is the tendency to be wildly irritable and prone to cruel ranting and raving, calming down afterward, with no memory of the hurtful words that were said. I wonder how many children go through life wounded in spirit because a parent was verbally abusive. In my family, one was said to have the "Pettis Temper" if that person flew into temper tantrums and vented his or her anger in cutting words. This is indeed cause for thought.
We have heard a lot lately about a large asteroid that was supposed to descend on the earth, with great damage. Then we heard the date of the broadcast - 1997! LOL! It would long since have come and gone and we neither heard or saw it. So much for predictions of the future!
Good night all - Be of good cheer!

1 comment:

JoodyC said...

Grandma Dottie:

About 15 years ago, shortly after I became a grandma, a 35-year-old friend said he was very impressed that I was so comfortable using a computer. He's now reached the age I was then and I still tease him about it. I wonder what he would have said about you?

Your thoughts about temper tantrums being genetic are interesting and perhaps applicable to adults -- athletes, politicians, and movie stars, in particular -- or are they just plain spoiled rotten?

We'd certainly never stood up for that behavior in our families, would we?

Judy Colbert
"Temper Tantrum Common Sense Handbook"