Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year

Today has been such a quiet day, we did nothing exciting at all. My husband drained some water out of the hot water heater, hardly worth mentioning. We are trying to flush the calcium deposit out of the bottom, as it eventually will damage the heating element and the heater will fail. We will have to get used to doing this, as the area in which we live tends to have this problem with the water. The water tastes good when we drink it, fortunately.
I am happy to report that the little juncos are back, and even some chickadees. We look forward to seeing these little birds every winter, cheerful little visitors from other areas. The hummingbirds are long gone, and the blue jays are scarce, but these little birds come in flocks and perch in the apple tree and in the rose bushes, twittering cheerfully.
Christmas was a fun time for us, with visits from family and friends. We were happy to celebrate and exchange simple gifts, but I must confess that now I am content to slip back into my old lazy ways and rest as much as i want to. I have had a problem with walking, and my left leg has developed what i assume is tendenitis although I am only making a guess about it. I rested most of the day with my leg draped with a heating pad and it seemed to help. My husband is most patient with my complaints and I try not to moan and groan too much. We each have our own list of ailments, none of which overlap.
What will the new year bring? It bodes to be exciting and different, and I am looking forward to a new president, and many changes in the lives of us all. My heart goes out to all of the young families facing bleak economic times, having experienced lean times of my own. That was a long time ago, but my memory is quite clear.
But that was then and this is now. I wish everyone everywhere a Happy New year and hope to keep in touch with my readers for a long time to come. Bye for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I appreciate the Junco's in winter. I haven't seen many but then I haven't really looked. I had a hawk visit the other day looking for a snack I'm sure.

Wishing you a good New Year. Harriet

Dieverdog said...

Happy New Year to you, too! Hope it comes to be a lovely year filled with many fond memories & good times! I look forward to more if your entertaining stories!
Pam

Random Thoughts said...

Happy New Year! 2009 should be an interesting year to watch.