Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The F Word

I wrote this little essay for my writing class some time ago, but it is just as true today as it was then. I have less to remember now as I did then, but essentially nothing has changed.

I have been using the F word a lot lately. No, I am not a dirty old lady. I don’t mean THAT F word. I mean the F that precedes the word forget. Not that I forget everything. My memory is selective. Ask me for example, what my husband said when I told him I thought I was pregnant, and I can quote his words verbatim. No, I won’t repeat what he said, my lips are forever sealed. Or ask me to quote a poem or song, and I am fine.
I am referring specifically to everyday events that occur in my life for which I cannot dredge a vestige of memory. What did we have for dinner two nights ago? How should I know? I cooked it, served it, ate and cleaned up afterward, but my memory bank is totally blank. Some aging process has caused my inner brain computer to crash on a daily basis.
It can be darned embarrassing! What did I call my dentist at my last appointment? His name is Salmon (I know because I looked it up) but I called him Bacon. Go figure. The other night I couldn’t remember the word “liberal”. Why did I need to know? I can’t remember. But the words to the poem “Spanish waters, Spanish waters” surge through my brain with no effort.
But why am I telling you this? I am neither proud nor ashamed of my lapses. I don’t even know why I am noting this down. To tell you the truth, I don’t remember!

4 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I feel this forgetful often now in my early thirties... oh no!

Anonymous said...

I have been this forgetful for my entire life and I am only now 26. . . I don't remember what I ate for lunch two days ago either. In my opinion, I think we remember the things that affect us, touch our hearts in some way and let the repetitiveness of everyday-ness in one ear and out the next! But 'Bacon' is pretty funny! What did the dentist say when you called him that?! =)

Grandma Dottie said...

I had a great rapport with my dentist, and he thought it was hilarious. He was a great dentist, but unfortunately left to take a teaching position in the university. We miss him!

Dieverdog said...

It's annoying to forget things... I do it too! Funny how the mind works (or doesn't!) Like why I can remember the names of kids I barely knew back in grade school but not someone I see daily now! Wouldn't it be nice to erase bad or unessesary memories and store pleasant or useful ones where we can access them like we do (in theory) on our computers! I can recall all sorts of useless trivia when I don't need to but when I need that important note I can't find the paper I wrote it on! such is life I guess.